Wednesday 15 July 2015

The Way to Mildura



We set off late in the evening, Phoebe, Will and I, which meant we were ham sandwiched between cars 'til way up the Calder hwy. A happy calm settled over me as I nestled into the backseat, I was looking forward to the next six hours of just sitting. In soft tones Phoebe let us know that she wanted a cigarette. Will made some comic remark about us smoking but then smoked with us anyway. That is the way he is, he likes to make people laugh.

The air was too cold coming in the window but I let it run all over my face anyway, carving caves and inlets. I inhaled and wistfully, loudly, exhaled. I wasn’t thinking about anything in particular, I was just looking out the window and smoking my cigarette. Will was talking and awful lot, he had one of those minds where he could just talk and talk and talk. I felt bad about not giving much back in the way of conversation but I was content with my own thoughts and the quiet.

The hours wore on; the road was infinite. We were more secluded now; the only other things were the blinding high beams of other cars and the stars, which became more confident the further we drove.
 -Have you written a blog before Phoebe? I said.
 -Yea I had to write one for another class.
-Oh.

It was nearing midnight when we finally reached Mildura. Then, it was one long stretch of road with a couple of tyre shops strewn carelessly around. There seemed to be aeons of space between everything. We made it to Brian’s house and the lovers bid me farewell for the night.

Brian had kindly offered the La Trobe students a free room in his house for the duration of the festival. I had gladly, if somewhat tardily, taken him up on this offer. He was a taught, short man and he smacked his lips a lot. He invited me in and began offering me all sorts of advice and information on the festival. I think his main aim was to size me up. Fair enough, I had just walked in out of the night. I believe I failed his test of character but I wasn’t to know this then. I collapsed in my tiny bed and was asleep.



No comments:

Post a Comment