Thursday 6 August 2015

Take Comfort Where You Can

A woman from the audience was asking Anthony Lawrence and Eileen Chong a question. It seemed she was about to burst into tears with every croaky word she spoke. I had heard her in the last session too. She went on and on about herself and I was beginning to get exasperated. I looked around to see the reaction of everyone else in the room. My eyes alighted on Sharon Olds.

In contrast to everyone else, she had a look of concern and interest on her face as she stared at the grey, teary woman. I realised that Sharon was a woman of supreme kindness and empathy. I realised that when Sharon said she only knew how to write about real life, she was telling the truth. Her poems are all tinged with kindness and I haven’t read one that is hateful or bitter. Even when she writes about her ex husband she infers warmth and love. I feel like divorced couples are capable of incomparable hate and vehement yet she shows none of this. And I do not believe she hides it either.

Strangely, this made me worry and I felt uneasy. I wasn't brimming with good thoughts and empathy. I was rolling my eyes at this brave woman. How was I going to sell any books with my narcissistic attitude and scathing manner? 

I let myself fret for about 2 minutes before I remembered all the weird and sadistic books I had read that weren't all about love and daisy chains. The book Lolita by Vladamir Nabokov is literally about a paedophile obsessed with nymphets and its considered one of the greats. Its about how you write not what you write. Oh Lewis, you have outdone yourself.

My mind came back to where I was, question time was over and everyone was leaving. I picked up my things and left with my classmates. As soon as we were free of the throng of people, one of my classmates said “Can you believe that woman?”

I smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment